Key Cs Interview Steps
So you want to get into software engineering…
Few things to get you better prepared–
- Learn about the process and what you need to do to shine through the process. Knowing the track makes a difference, just search or read proples’s stories on Glassdoor/careercup. Where would you like to play in a track you do best or you know very well?
- Polishing resume, 1 page is better, spend few $ on LinkedIn to get a professional review your resume. Your friends and seniors have an idea but they are not an expert on resume writing.
- Large companies might ban you for a period if you fail onsite say 6 months or a year. So save the big ones until you are fully prepared and taken several onsites.
- Even if you are banned, there might recruiters willing to interview, so keep applying.
- Make you linked-in profile keyword ready so that you are a top match for general software engineering jobs.
- Use word cloud on a job listing to count the top search words and use these top terms in your resume to get past ATS and have a real person look at your resume.
- There are a lot of not-so-good jobs in the industry but pays well; if you can, ignore the ones that raise an alarm.
- Reach out to recruiters and see if they can schedule and interview, be polite with them, they are amazing people.
- Reach out to “Software managers” at your target company as they have more powers but gets less emails.
- Dont panic, you can do this. Keep your ambitions high.
- Negotiate your salary smartly once you have an offer, managers will most likely raise the numbers from initial offer.
Preparation for interview
- System design starts from Day 1, dont be overconfident that you can do something in 7 days. Well, you can but your system will be shit. Grooking/AWS architecture designs on youtube in a good place to start.
- Keep on solving, practicing and revising leetcode/hackerrank/CTCI problems.
- Try to go through more problems and map them based on the optimal strageies you know but dont code everything.
- Have a cheat sheet of all the basic data structure or details of the programming languag you prefer.
- Solve leetcode top interview problems.
- Know the runtime and space complexities of your solution and the optimal solution.
- Solve leetcode all the big companies Top 20 questions. Say Amazon top 20, Facebook top 20, Google top 20 and so on.
- Before onsite – go through glassdoor/CareerCup last 3 months interview questions for that company to get a high level idea whats going on right now at that company.
- If you read this far, find what works best for you. My tips are hardly enough.